Wednesday, February 9, 2011

New York Cupcakes, Lobsters and my Frosting Issues

I love my buttercream recipe. With a little tweaking and some help from my friend Denieza, I was able to find the balance between flavor and texture.

However, I still can't find a way to make my frostings look like this. I just think they are so pretty!

Billy's Chocolate Cupcake
Photo from Billy's Bakery



Billy's Banana Cupcake
http://www.billysbakerynyc.com/
Everyone seems to be using the Magnolia Bakery buttercream recipe but the ones I make never turn out like this. Is it the sugar I'm using? Am I beating the frosting too much? Too little?

Frankly, the last time I was able to make my frostings look like this is when I used a Duncan Hines frosting in a tub. I mean, the frostings above are....HUH? Could they be...? But, it's impossible! Or is it???

So without any knowledge of how these cupcakes taste like, I feel around in the dark when I make the frostings for my cupcakes. Yet again, I am really regretting passing on the cupcakes when I was in NYC last year. How could I even resist these tempting selections of nothing but cupcakes!

Check out these beauties!!!
Eleni's at Chelsea Market, NYC

Aahh, New York...And I weighed so much less then.

Sadly, I WAS able to resist them. I think it was because I had no room left after this big lunch:

Lobster and Soup lunch with the sister at Chelsea Market, NYC
Lobster freshly cooked at The Lobster Place
Artichoke Cream Soup and Black Bean Chili from Hale & Hearty

Gosh, I'm getting hungry all of a sudden. Anyway, back to that elusive frosting.

When I make the frosting which calls for butter, powdered sugar and a little milk, it tastes fine, a little too sweet and a bit grainy. The ones above look so shiny, smooth and they seem to be holding their shape very well. And even if I do not add all the milk to adjust the consistency of the frosting, it is still not very elastic as the frostings above seem to be. Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?

If you think you can help, feel free to leave a comment! Thank you for reading!

**If you are ever in New York City, Chelsea Market is a great place to have lunch. It is a perfect place to shop and eat, with all the retail stores, restaurants and cafes you can find in the complex. Also in the CM complex are The Food Network Studios, Mario Batali's Del Posto and Masaharu Morimoto's Morimoto so you may run into a celebrity chef if you're lucky.**




Chelsea Market



  • 75 9th Avenue (Between 15th and 16th Streets)
  • New York, NY 10011


Chocolates at Jacques Torres

American Artisanal Cheeses at Lucy's Whey

A variety of freshly cooked seafood at The Lobster Place

Checking the goods at one of CM's Italian groceries

The Ice Cream Sandwich (aka the death of me) at Jacques Torres

The Lobster Place

2 comments:

  1. hmm... ice cream swich...

    could it be the differences in the temp and humidity? also, camille says iba talaga ung published recipe from the one they actually use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably. I'm gonna try piping it while its still fresh out of the fridge. And yep, I figured the published and actual recipes aren't the same. Hey, I got my first client na! Kuya Ric is asking if I could make 50 cupcakes for their anniv on sunday! Charo is also giving a dozen away to her veterinarian next week. Sana magtake off ito =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...